None of my Ferris Bueller theories panned out. Jalopnik discovered the Bueller ad was for Honda. Honda released the extended cut of their
Super Bowl the ‘big’ game™ ad.
It’s chock full of Ferris Bueller references (over two dozen, they say). It’s a clever way to incorporate the references using Broderick rather than the Bueller character so that John Hughes just does a partial turn in his grave. I’m saddened there’s not an Abe Froman reference.
But here’s a fun piece of trivia. The
Super Bowl the ‘big’ game™ is still a week away. The whole “pre-buzz” idea for Super Bowl the ‘big’ game™ ads is getting out of hand. Pretty soon we’ll start seeing Christmas decorations in October … wait.
There’s also the possibility that your teasers could backfire. The social nets are now full of mal-informed Ferris Bueller fans who thought the Honda teaser was for a sequel to the movie. They are now in attack mode.
What do you think? Has the pre-hoopla outweighed the actual media placement? Is the spot in the game just an afterthought?
Well. It’s starting to seem like every ad in the 2012
Super Bowl the ‘big’ game™ will involve revisiting old movies. While I’ve said Volkswagen’s ‘The Bark Side” may have some troubles, this one I’m intrigued by…
While it does seem that “life has moved pretty fast” from the looks of Matthew Broderick, there’s not much more in the teaser that lets us know what this is about. I’m sure in the next few days (hours) the mystery advertiser will be identified (UPDATE: it’s for Honda. Update for Honda: A Honda is not analogous to a Ferrari.) , but for now here are some of my theories for what this could mean.
- Ferrari is reintroducing the 250 GT Spider California to the market
- Abe Froman is introducing a new line of healthy sausages during Super Bowl XLVI.
- Ferris Bueller will break out in a spontaneous versions of “Danke Schoen” and “Twist and Shout” during the Madonna halftime show.
- Ben Stein has bought time warning 2012 presidential candidates of the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act and voodoo economics.
- Charlie Sheen announces his intentions of marrying Jennifer Grey (winning)
- The CMA (Clarinet Manufacturers Association) wants to promote clarinet lessons
- The sad reality is that it will probably be a Cialis or Viagra spot.
Incredible, one of the worst blog posts of my career and they never doubted it for a second. But what’s your theory (funny or real) on this teaser ad?
Another update: Honda has released the extended cut of the Bueller ad well in advance of
Super Bowl the ‘big’ game™.